Tuesday, May 16, 2023

Reeves County, TX

Locator: 44662TX. 

Wow, this one map .... can take one down so many rabbit holes.


It would be impossible to re-trace my history from this map to Ken Kesey but last night during the witching hour it was quite an adventure.

Other rabbit holes and links:

  • to get to Ken Kesey, it was via La Junta, Colorado, I believe, but I forget.

On numerous cross-country trips from DFW to Flathead, MT, I had the opportunity to pass through La Junta many times, but I don't recall visiting La Junta, so most likely after heading north out of Amarillo to Pueblo, I turned northwest at Dumas, TX, to take a shorter route to I-25 via Raton, New Mexico, just south of the Colorado state line. 

Next time I drive to Flathead Lake, I will make a special note to pass through La Junta, Spanish for junction, where the Santa Fe trail intersected with a road to Pueblo.

Santa Fe Trail, the north/mountain route, today (?), sixteen hours driving time:

  • north-northeast out of Santa Fe on I-25
  • northeast at Trinidad, Colorado, exiting onto US Highway 350
  • a number of short stretches of various highways angling northwest from La Junta to Eads, Colorado
  • a very short direct northerly route at Eads, Colorado (US Highway 287)
  • connect with I-40 at Kit Carson and then all the way on I-40 to points east, including Kansas City, via Topeka

No comments:

Post a Comment