Wednesday, September 28, 2022

Tracking Frack Crews -- An Update -- Information Is Available -- September 28, 2022

UPDATE, from a reader: Enervus (drillinginfo.com) has a service that allows you to track the location of frac crews.

A reader's inquiry Can you direct me to a site that tracks the fracking/completion crew activity similar to what the ND site provides for Rig Count. I hae not been able to find anything.

My reply: I have never found that. I don't think that data is available anywhere. If it is, I've never come across it. 

If that information is available, I would be surprised. 

I've maintained "forever" that most folks who follow the oil industry have never evolved in their thinking from conventional oil to tight, unconventional, shale. This is another example. Most folks are still fixated / focused on rig counts. As I've said "forever," [don't take this out of context], rigs don't matter. Frack spreads matter; completions matter. And yet there is no regulatory requirement to track frack spreads as far as I know. 

This reader is correct: tracking frack spreads is important.  

I suppose one could suggest:

  • rig counts, rig locations: a lagging indicator
  • location of frack spreads: a leading indicator

Or do I have it reversed?

No comments:

Post a Comment