Saturday, May 25, 2019

Weekend Notes, Part 1, Nothing About The Bakken -- May 25, 2019

Blogging for the next two days, Saturday and Sunday will be "disjointed." Top stories for the week will be delayed.

The granddaughters are busy, busy, busy this weekend.

Sophia is home alone with Grammy, in Grapevine, TX -- Dallas/Ft Worth area.

The middle granddaughter, is with her parents in Denver, participating in a national soccer tournament. Friday night her team had their first game for the three-day tournament. Olivia is not a striker. She plays mid-field. As a midfielder and a non-striker it is not expected that she should take shots on goal. Last night, she scored the team's first goal, relatively early in the first half. Her team won: 1 - 0.

The oldest granddaughter is with me in San Antonio for a state-wide water polo tournament.

It was a road trip from DFW (Grapevine, TX) to San Antonio.

Earlier this week it was reported that based on raw numbers, the fastest growing cities for the 12-month period ending July, 2018:
  • Phoenix
  • San Antonio (where we are; where we lived for 13 years)
  • Ft Worth (where we live)
I was excited to see San Antonio again. 

We did NOT take I-35 south from DFW to San Antonio. Traffic is always incredibly heavy on I-35 and this was the beginning of the 3-day weekend.

We took state highway 360 south, west on I-20, and then south on state highways 171, 67, 220, and 281. It took about six hours. Traffic was moderate; roads were great. A little slow getting through the towns along the way but no big deal.

Passing under the interchange between I-20 west and I-35 south: traffic had come to a complete stop. I assume it would take an hour or to make that half-mile transition. It confirmed my decision to avoid I-35 was the best decision. We continued west on I-20 until we got to Highway 171, south to Cleburne.

We arrived on the north side of San Antonio just before dusk. The city has expanded well north of the outer loop (Loop 1604). The amount of road construction was incredible. I've never seen so much construction, but traffic flowed very nicely. Then the eighth wonder of the world: the "1604-281 interchange." Apparently it's been under construction for ten years and it looks like another ten years of construction, not without a lot of controversy. In addition to that project, Highway 281 will be greatly expanded north of "1604." That also looks like a ten-year project.

The construction project is bigger than anything I'm seeing in DFW area now.

San Antonio, on first look, seems more interesting, more exciting than Dallas. It still has a small town feel to it, if that's even possible.
We drove into downtown San Antonio directly after check into our hotel (located at the corner of I-10 and Loop 1604.

The Riverwalk was as busy as ever at 9:00 p.m. Clean, safe, fun.

Quick snack of tapas: mussels for me; chicken quesadillas for Arianna. The mussels were delicious; served in a completely different sauce than I was used to from France and north Texas (LOL).

Highlight of the evening: watching a state trooper pull over a Dodge Charger going about a 100 mph on the the I-10 when we were returning to our hotel. It was pitch black; the Charger passed me on my right; I saw it coming from behind and could see it coming. Crossing four lanes of traffic to the high-speed lane deftly; I was impressed. About 30 seconds down the road, the trooper's lights went on and came up on the Charger. Interestingly, the Charger immediately slowed down but did not come to a stop on the wide shoulder. The duo must have traveled about two miles at relatively slow speed until finally the Dodge pulled off an exit ramp and turned into a parking lot. I was pretty sure the speeder was going to take off again and leading the cop on a wild chase. Did not happen. But it sure took a long time for the Charger to finally come to a stop. 

This morning we drove to the water polo venue. The Dub Farris Athletic Complex may not be the biggest, most impressive such complex in the world, but it must come close. The water polo tournament will be held in the outdoor pool but could be moved indoors with inclement weather (not forecast).



You Belong to the City, Glenn Frey

No comments:

Post a Comment