Thursday, March 26, 2026

Wikipedia Bans AI-Generated Articles -- March 26, 2026

Locator: 50325WIKI. 

Wikipedia bans AI-generated articles. The bigger question is whether Wiki human editors / contributors are allowed to use AI for research?

I don't know why and I don't care (why Wiki has banned AI-generated articles). One of the problems I have with Wiki is that Wiki is often not current. Chatbots have a similar problem but chatbots are much quicker to update information. Wiki is slow to update information. 

Bottom line: I trust AI-generated information a whole lot more than what I generally read on the front page of The New York Times. 

***************************
AI vs Wiki

AI prompt: using only wiki sources, what does wiki have to say about the US government announcement that it is investigating three medical schools?

The answer is "intriguing," to say the least:
 

AI prompt: what three medical schools are being investigated by the US government? 

AI reply: 

And, there you have it. 

Wiki will complement other sources, such as chatbots, but, over time, will become less relevant. 

*************************
AI

Generally, AI is only as good as the AI prompt.  

************************
The Bakken

Wiki: the most recent price analysis -- accessed March 26, 2026 -- "As of January 2015, estimates varied on the break-even oil price for drilling Bakken wells." 


2015? Eleven years ago? 

Meanwhile, from AI:

This gets tedious.

By the way, the chatbots I use include the links. Even to those New York Times links that I don't trust. LOL.