Sunday, July 8, 2018

Sunday Morning -- July 8, 2018 -- Lonesome Friends Of Science Say, This World Will End Most Any Day

Part 1: done. Part two is here. Part 3 is here.
I don't live here anyway,
I live down deep inside my head,
where long ago I made my bed
I get my mail in  ...
I was sure this song was a Todd Snider song. Wrong:

Lonesome Friends of Science, John Prince

****************************
Japanese Internment Camps

An executive order.

Executive Order 9066.

FDR.

Yup. Don't even get me started.

***********************
The Dallas Morning News -- Sunday Edition

Last weekend the Sunday paper cost $3.00.

Today, I was surprised when the cashier charged me $3.79.

Yup, that's the "new" price for the Sunday paper. Actually, I don't know when the price was raised but it was very, very recently. I've "always" paid $3.00 for the paper (actually I don't read it any more; I quit reading it a couple of years ago, I suppose; I buy it for my wife).

$3.79.

79 cents/$3.00 = a 26% increase in price. And I don't think this is because of Trump's trade war.

I think this is a bad, bad omen for the Dallas paper.

*******************************
NASCAR Last Night

Actually, it began Friday night with the Infinity Race. An incredibly good race. Maybe more on that later for the archives. I mentioned that in passing last night to our granddaughters. They saw the race and told me all about it! Can you believe that. Olivia actually knew that Kyle Larson won and that he won be 500ths of a second. And that the car that actually beat him to the finish line was disqualified because the driver drove the left tires over the double-yellow line -- off-sides, and loses the win. Rules are rules, but one more reason NASCAR will lose fans.

I might come back to this: my mother-in-law was Japanese; married at 18 years of age at the end of WWII; came to the US about two years later. We have Japanese friends in southern California. Some of them talk of internment during WWII here in the US. Kyle Larson's mother is Japanese. He mentioned that his mother talked about those internment camps. I don't know the story. If accurate, she would have been a toddler.

Last night's race. Incredible. I missed most of it due to a family birthday celebration, but we got home to see the last seven laps and then overtime.

Were there three big crashes in the last seven laps and then overtime? I think so. One huge crash with just a feet to go where the race would have been considered an "official" race, but they didn't quite make it. Had to have another re-start. Final run out of the fourth turn, out of nowhere, Eric Jones flies ahead of Martin Truex, Jr, and wins. First ever NASCAR win for Eric Jones, and at the biggest NASCAR venue -- Daytona. Wow.

I'm kicking myself. See this post from November 4, 2017 --
Wow, what are the odds? Earlier today I had the opportunity to have my picture taken in front of the #20 car, driven by Eric Jones, in the Xfinity Series, but I did not have my camera, so the photo never got taken. I did get a free beer koozie, but no photo in front of the car. and now, wow ... Eric Jones, #20, wins the first stage of the race out at the Texas Motor Speedway tonight.  If he wins the final stage, I'm going to be really, really miffed.[Update: I'm really miffed.]
Note: one of Eric's sponsors back in 2017 was "Reser's." Last night, Reser's was still one of his sponsors. I actually now buy Reser's potato salad once in awhile.

*************************
Starbucks

I've never seen this Starbucks parking lot so empty. Not one car. Except for three cars in the back that belong to the employees, I assume. 

**************************
Sorry for the delay in blogging. I will start momentarily.

Items that will be discussed.

The price of the Dallas Morning News.

Starbucks this morning.

NASCAR last night.

The Slawson wells that I said I would update.

Wells coming off the confidential list this next week.

But I probably won't get to this until another thirty minutes or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment