Saturday, February 5, 2022

Idle Rambling -- Nothing To Do With The Bakken -- January 29, 2022

It's funny how things work out. 

We all know about the "Waffle House Index."

But with the New England cyclone bomb this weekend and Winter Storm Kenan, we saw how well another index worked, the "airline index." Following "flightradar24" tonight, as soon as I saw flights returning to a particular airport told me that the worst was over. I don't need to have the denominator (the usual number of aircraft flying in or out), all I needed to see was any aircraft flying back into airports that had been closed in anticipation of the event. 

If you haven't played around with "flightradar24" -- it's a hoot. The free version will give you hours of "fun," and for a very nominal price, one can have "basic" service with much more to offer. 

By the way, some planes are "blue," some are "yellow." There's a reason. 

Hint: generally speaking, all "yellow" planes are over land or near land. All "blue" planes are over the ocean. 

*******************************
Sophia and the iPad

For work, I use a laptop, but for games, reading, relaxing, surfing the net, I use the iPad. 

Sophia, eight years old this summer, loves the iPad for watching YouTube videos; using educational apps, like learning Spanish; using creativity apps to learn to play the piano, and paint. It is amazing how she navigates the iPad. Yesterday, I saw her with multiple windows open on the iPad -- I asked her how she was able to do that and she showed me. She taught me short cuts that make YouTube much more useful. Now that she has become a better speller, she knows how to search on YouTube.

**************************
Easier Sung, Than Done

We'll Sing in the Sunshine, Gale Garnett

No comments:

Post a Comment