Thursday, November 11, 2021

Personal Notes For The Family -- Nothing About The Bakken -- November 11, 2021

I just returned from a Veterans' Day event at our middle granddaughter's high school. An incredible event.

It will take me a couple of hours to decompress before I can blog again. Events like these always put things in perspective. I've written about my recent visit to Shiloh; that visit continues to resonate. I desperately need to visit Shiloh again.

The solemn slide show at these events always brings tears to my eyes: amazing the number of alumni from this high school that went on to serve over the last several decades. I found my mind wandering, recalling all the close friends with whom I served over the years.

The walk through the veterans' memorial garden was amazing. One of only thirteen such gardens that Jane Goodall commemorated / dedicated at time of opening several decades ago. 

The speaker, a master sergeant (retired) / first sergeant -- a "woman of color" -- one of the best speakers I've ever had the privilege to hear. 

Emma: John Brown University; Christian missionary.

Whittaker: Pratt & Whitney engines; student pilot; school photographer.

Ovine (?): Indian, leadership council.

Zachary: Duke or Vanderbilt.

Photos will be posted later. 

Watching WWII movies now on TCM. The between-movie vignettes honoring veterans are simply incredible.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your service Bruce. Great smile on the previous photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking time to write and the kind words. I've been very fortunate.

      Delete