Friday, September 3, 2021

Idle Rambling -- Nothing About The Bakken -- September 3, 2021

A reader sent me a note that reminded me of blog I've been meaning to post for quite some time.

I am absolutely convinced that most folks need to "retire" and move on after twenty years (more or less) of doing the same thing. 

I have thought about this often over the years. 

I can be criticized for staying as long as I did in my vocation for which I was trained. But having said that, my "jobs" changed significantly over the thirty years I was in the US Air Force. Until the last seven years, I never lost my passion for the military. I "retired on active duty" after twenty-three years, but I used those seven years to prepare for the next chapter in my life. 

My transition from the military to the civilian sector was as good as it could possibly be and that was because I was prepared for retirement.

I've been watching Perry Mason on Hulu for the past few weeks, one or two episodes each night, generally viewing them with my wife, who may enjoy the series even more than I do.

Raymond Burr should have quit acting after that series. Yes, I know actors craze "the stage," and perhaps it was impossible for him to do something different. But he "was Perry Mason" and that's how he should have departed, "exit, stage left."

 I don't think Bob Hope ever left the stage but he certainly had other interests off the stage. 

I recently saw a documentary that discussed the Marx brothers, Frank Sinatra, Jack Benny and others in Palm Springs. Another great example.

No comments:

Post a Comment