Sunday, August 22, 2021

Red River Water Project -- Update -- August 22, 2021

We first mentioned this project on the blog on August 6, 2021, thanks to an alert from Geoff Simon. 

In the 11+ years I've been blogging, I've never read an article on a drought in eastern North Dakota, whereas the western third of the state seems to be in a perpetual and never-ending drought.

From a reader today:

From a reader: 

I am inherently suspicious of this kind of project.

I really don't like taking water out of the southern-draining Missouri and rerouting it to drain into Hudson Bay

I really, really don't like it because it gives the eastern part of the state a reason to be interested in how much water we use to frack.

I suspect that rather than prepare for a rare drought, what they really want to do is pump flood water the other direction.  Many more floods in the Red River than droughts.  Of course, it costs money to pump water uphill.

No comments:

Post a Comment