Wednesday, September 25, 2019

How To Keep Track Of The Number Of Stages In A Fracked Long Lateral -- September 25, 2019

This turns out to be more complicated than I first thought. After posting this picture yesterday, I had a couple of comments / queries -- one anonymous and two by e-mail.


I honestly did not know what they were doing in the photo above.

Today, when I took Sophia into her Montessori classroom -- we arrived early before her teacher was there -- so she could have a second breakfast with her classmates -- I asked her to show me what she was doing.

She pulled out the project.

I don't know if you can see it in the photo below but each of the little "tabs" have a number. Each number was a multiple of "2" so, randomly, 2, 4, 6, 8, 16, 32, 64, etc. Or maybe better said, all (?) the even numbers.  

Sophia said that one had to put the numbers in a certain order to make a chain.

In the photo below, one sees a chain with beads of the same color. Apparently they had to match the tabs with numbers on them with the number of beads in each section of the chain. And then total them up as they went along -- sort of like an abacus.

She appeared to know exactly what she was doing. In fact, it appeared she was surprised that I was confused. She said, "it's easy. Don't you get it?" She could have added, "you dummy." LOL.

It really is bittersweet to see one's granddaughters grow up. By age eight they don't need you any more except as an Uber-driver.


So, anyway, it turns out to be much more complicated than I originally thought. It appears that one could also use this method to describe how many stages CLR uses when fracking a long lateral.

2 comments:

  1. Come on, Pawpah. Just making sure the hz are perpendicular to the natural stress fracs. And toe up wells. Duh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what Sophia was trying to tell me, I think. LOL.

      Delete