Friday, July 15, 2016

Random Note On Where EOG Has Several New Permits -- July 15, 2016

EOG has several new permits in the immediate area of this well:
  • 17044, 1,519, EOG, Wayzetta 6-12H, Parshall, one section, t11/08; cum 508K 5/16; open hole frack with about 2 million bbls sand; s7/30/08; TD 8/18/08; short lateral;
***********************************************
Exxon Declares Force Majeure on Nigerian Exports

Link here.
Oil rose as Exxon Mobil Corp. declared force majeure on shipments of Nigeria’s biggest crude export grade. Force majeure -- a legal clause that allows it to stop shipments without breaching contracts -- was declared on Qua Iboe crude after “a system anomaly observed during a routine check of its loading facility."
This follows a similar disruption in May and June. The Niger Delta Avengers, a militant group that has targeted oil installations in Nigeria this year, claimed earlier this week that they attacked the Qua Iboe crude pipeline.

***************************
A Note for the Granddaughters
Starbucks And ObamaCare

If anyone can figure out this article, let me know. That's rhetorical. Please do not send me anything on ObamaCare. When Don sent me this article, this was my reply:
There are so many "inconsistencies" either in this article or in ObamaCare. The first paragraph clearly states that employers need to provide, not just offer, health care coverage equal to their CEOs, and then in the very next paragraph, and the rest of the story, it sounds like companies have found a way around this, to offer what employees want and will actually use. Offer, not provide.
So, I don't get it.

Bottom line for me is that this is a bureaucratic nightmare: employees have lost out in a huge way and employers have figured out how to get around the law.

Again, the GOP needs to "run away" from ObamaCare and let the Dems sort it out.
By the way, this gives me an opportunity to segue into my weekly book review. In this week's issue of London Review of Books, there are actually several reviews that interested me.

Some time ago a reader suggested I read Dante's Inferno before posting any more comments regarding ObamaCare. In this week's LRB, Tim Parks reviews a new book: Dante: The Story of His Life, by Marco Santagata, translated by Richard Dixon. This was particularly noteworthy: Dante placed the prophet Muhammad in in hell. I did not know that.

Michael Neill reviews The Reformation of Emotions in the Age of Shakespeare by Steven Mullaney. Of course, neither the writer nor the critic mention the "real" Shakespeare but that's a discussion for another time. I've discussed it often.

Thomas Jones reviews a novel by Ian McGuire, The North Water, that takes place in northern England. Whether I read the book or not, I don't know, but the place names (York, Hull, Whitby) bring back a lot of memories, and the allusions to several other books (Moby-Dick, Sylvia's Lovers, Rites of Passage, Blood Meridian) makes it tempting (to read).

Finally, John Banville reviews The Physicicist and the Philosopher: Einstein, Bergson and the Debate That Changed Our Understanding of Time, by Jimena Canales. Banville brings up Copernicus and Proust in the first paragraph which is always delightful.

I see I have, in ink, circled several words that I need to add to the word list that I share with Arianna. The list includes from this two-page article: instauration, apotheosis, gnomic, quavers.

By the way, a digression, I always knew that "Mesopotamia" meant "in between the rivers." I always knew that "meso" meant middle but I never lingered over the "potamia" and "rivers." I asked Arianna, based on that -- "potamia" and "rivers" could she think of a word that we use today that might have come from "potamia"?

Yup, she guessed it: "potable." One wonders if thousands of years ago, budding philosophers wondered why ocean water was not "potable" whereas "river water" was. I can imagine explorers leaving maps with oceans and seas and rivers drawn on them. Most important to these explorers would have been drinking water, and it's very possible these early explorers labeled squiggly lines that represented rivers, as "potami" or "potable." Over time, "potami" (potable" became the word for rivers. Right or wrong, it provides a way to remember a word and provides a few minutes of entertainment while driving cross-country.

There are several other articles or snippets of articles in this week's LRB -- way more than usual. The timing is fortunate. My subscription is up for renewal.

No comments:

Post a Comment