Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Probably The Best Commentary on the Bakken, Change, and Community -- My Hunch We're Gonna See This Again -- Reason #1 Why I Love Blogging

Link here.

Had I not been blogging about the Bakken, I may never have seen this. It was sent to me by a reader. What an incredible piece of writing. The photography is stunning.

This is as good a piece of writing as one will see anywhere. It would be great to see this end up in The New Yorker.

A huge "thank you" to Gary who sent it to me.

Reason #1 why I love blogging: one never knows what one will find in the blogosphere. And the linked blog article is a perfect example.

This is her opening:
I interrupt the regular programming of walking the hills, chasing Little Man, scolding the pug and cooking with my husband to  talk for a moment about community. I want to talk about belonging somewhere, calling it home, embracing its flaws and standing up for a place…taking care of it.

No matter where you live in this country you’ve probably caught bits and pieces about the changes that are occurring in Western North Dakota due to new technology that allows us to extract oil from the Bakken and other large reservoirs that lay 10,000 feet below the surface of the land…the land where our roads wind, our children run, our farmers cultivate, our schools and shops sit. The land we call community. The land we call home.

2 comments:

  1. Here is a link to a prior Jesse Veeder blog with a country barn dance (wifes relation owns the barn)that summarizes what we have here in western ND and dont want to lose.
    http://veederranch.com/2011/08/15/and-then-we-sang-red-river-valley/#comments

    ReplyDelete