Thursday, August 30, 2018

The Market, Energy, And Political Page, T+17 -- August 31, 2018

Idle chatter. It appears to be a quiet day, so I will interrupt it with my incessant chatter.

Sector rotation: the Dow (irrelevant) is down 100 points. AAPL, meanwhile, hits a new high, rising another $1.77, trading at $224.76. Pretty impressive. 

NYC: back to normal. Long Island customers will only pay $110/MWh today. Link here.

Natural gas fill rate, link here:

T+17, Iran sanctions. First round went into effect on August 7, 2018; second round set to begin November 4, 2018.

Selfish: for selfish reasons I would like to see Melania, the First Lady, out and about a bit more. She keeps a very, very low profile and I don't blame her. I hope she is enjoying life. I assume she is doing just fine. I really, really would enjoy seeing her out and about. But, having said that, not seeing her is so much better than the alternative, seeing Bill Clinton, First Man, dominating the news, had Hillary been elected. And if it weren't for the 22nd Amendment, we would still be seeing Michelle and her garden. Speaking of which, I assume the garden has now become a putting green.

Oil:


Global warming:


The Hippocratic oath: "first, do no harm."

The market:

Oh, before I begin, the disclaimer -- this is not an investment site. Do not make any investment, financial, job, travel, or relationship decisions based on what you read here. I am now posting financial "stuff" because:
  • at least one of my siblings appreciates it (I think she's the only family member that actually reads the blog)
  • my wife has successfully completed an in-depth financial course and may someday actually read the blog
  • in September, I will step down as CEO and chairman of our financial affairs "entity" and hand over CEO responsibilities to my executor; I will remain as chairman; due to non-disclosure agreements, nothing else can be said at this time
Now, back to the market, for my one sister who reads the blog and my executor, not intended for anyone else; whether or not I have holdings in those mentioned, I enjoy following them:
  • all major indices: red; profit-taking; background noise
  • AAPL; flat; it had a good run; Apple is now a mature company; generally it will trade in a "trading range," and will show volatility leading up to quarterly earnings; growth will be tough; it's a value stock now; hard to call it FANG; lots of cash so dividend increases likely and overall return will be nice but not great; stay with what you have, but don't add to your portfolio; up as much as $4.00 today; apparently Warren Buffett's BRK added another 5% to their overall AAPL holdings;
  • ENB: down along with the overall market; Line 3 is the concern here; buying Spectra was huge and could offset problems associated with Line 3;
  • SRE: nice; on a down day for the market (albeit not much), SRE is showing some life, up about 0.65%); paying 3%
  • D: ditto SRE; I think I read somewhere Dominion Energy is the fastest growing utility in the US; paying almost 5%; wow;
  • COP: movers and shakers in the oil sector consistently say good things about COP; up a bit today and paying 1.6% but expectations for dividend increases are often cited
  • CVX: flat today, slightly red; paying a remarkable 3.76%;
  • XLNX: down slightly today; a real sleeper; paying almost 2%;
  • PLUG: what can I say; stay away;
  • BRK-B: might as well invest in Schwab Total Stock Market Index Fund (SWTSX) -- easy to remember -- "SW" = Schwab; "TS" = total stock' and "X" = mutual fund; the only difference: no avuncular advice
  • UNP: off its recent high; paying 2%; trucking industry with challenges; truckers have "last mile" niche but rails will get the rest;
  • Midstream MLPs: not for the faint-hearted; I love the two I have; would have preferred a third, but more trouble than they are worth? Some analysts suggest MLPs have seen their worst days after FERC changed the rules; 
  • OAS: actually "green" today; 
  • NOG: flat 
  • S: up a bit today; may still have legs before merger?
  • BABA: volatile; long-term? No dividend
  • YUM: hold, but don't add. Pays $1.7%; watch for another year, then decide
  • AMZN: share price hit $2,000 but still hasn't hit market cap of $1 trillion, and pays no dividend
  • SLB: up a bit today; pays 3%; time to move on;
  • TSLA: oh, TSLA, almost forgot; how could I forget, $302, well off it's high of $389 and well short of the one analyst's target: $4,000 
  • ETP and ETE: SeekingAlpha


No comments:

Post a Comment