Friday, July 29, 2022

ERCOT -- For The Archives -- July 29, 2022

We have no natural gas, only electricity.

This is our only energy utility bill, our entire energy / utility bill.

This is the hottest July we've had in years; note the average high temperature this year compared to previous month and year-over-year.

Also, note that we had two more days in the billing cycle than the previous month.

85.50 / 32 = 2.671875 * 30 days = $80.16.

The past month, this billing cycle, ABC Evening News et al was laser-focused on whether the Texas grid would hold. Folks wrote to tell me that ERCOT spot price was $5,000 for MWh on the really, really hot days.

And here you have it: a "bill" for $85 for the month of July for electricity. 


So, $85 for the month of July, 2022.

4 comments:

  1. Not everyone will live in a 1000 sq ft apartment in South America in the summer with the ac always off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just doing my part to minimize my carbon footprint. Seriously.

      Delete
  2. Average electric use in Texas is 1132 kWh per month. So you are running about 1/2 of that which puts your usage in the lowest quartile of all users. I thought I was a skinflint but I have to admit, you put me to shame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. The interesting thing: I have all the things I need in life, and happy as a lark. Or happy as a clam.

      Delete