Thursday, August 12, 2021

What A Great Country -- August 11, 2021

While traveling for the past two weeks or so, I didn't keep up with the news, but it seemed like every time I checked in the Dow and S&P 500 were hitting new highs. And I think I saw a headline today that the Dow and S&P 500 hit new highs again today.

The ten-year treasury fell a bit today but is trending higher, now at 1.349 percent. I guess talking heads say it will trend toward 2%. OMG. That could derail this market.

US dollar (DXY): 92.88 -- about where it's been since November, 2020.

WTI: after falling to $65 over the weekend WTI has recovered and is now back to $69 and change. I was hoping to sell shares in EOG and buy shares in a different Permian operator but may have missed my opportunity. I don't put new money into oil, but will trade within the sector. New money is being invested with Cathie Wood. 

Dividends payable August 12, 2021: AAPL and EPD. 

Disclaimer: this is not an investment site.  Do not make any investment, financial, job, career, travel, or relationship decisions based on what you read here or think you may have read here

For gardeners only: this is a pretty good story. When I was growing up in Williston, ND, my mother made the best rhubarb pie in the world. Period. Dot. 

When my mom moved out to Flathead Lake (Lakeside, MT), to the family summer home that became her retirement home, she took a few "stalks" (is that what they are called?) of rhubarb from her garden in Williston, ND, and transplanted them to a little plot in the corner of her yard on Flathead Lake.

I'm using the term "garden" loosely. The only garden plant mom ever planted that survived was rhubarb, and it was only three or four plants, but I digress.

My mom was sure the rhubarb plant she planted in Montana was inside her lot lines. [In literature, that's called foreshadowing.]

Well, apparently some years ago, some temporary renters living in the house behind her were "stealing" her rhubarb. LOL. That became a thing for a few summers. No gunfights at the "OK Corral" but words were spoken. 

My mom has passed on to the big rhubarb garden in the sky and a sister has bought the house. During the family reunion, the rhubarb story came up again, and we decided to sort this out once and for all. [No, we had not been drinking.]

We got out the "original" deed, checked the legal description which included the latitude and longitude of the lot lines. 

We then went out with someone's brand new iPhone and brand new "map" app and set the phone in the middle of the rhubarb plant.

The plant is one foot outside Mom's lot lines. It's possible some of the rhubarb stalks lean into mom's lot (it's a huge plant), but the law, I'm sure, states that where the main body of stalks enter the topsoil marks the "official location." If so, that's not good news for my mom's heirs who like homemade rhubarb pie.

This summer our sister who now owns the house says her goal this summer is to transplant the rhubarb plant three feet to the southeast, putting the plant clearly inside her lot lines. 

She will do it under cover of darkness. 

***************************************
The Making Of ....

Link to Lana Del Rey, Young and Beautiful --

No comments:

Post a Comment