Wednesday, August 11, 2021

Note From A Reader Regarding The Killdeer Area In North Dakota -- August 11, 2021

I received the following from a reader yesterday. I was not sure what I could add, so I will post the note as I received it, add comments later, if necessary. 

The reader noted the decline rate. There is no question the decline rate is a function of the Bakken (and perhaps other shale plays) but to some degree, the "decline" rate can be influenced by operators "managing their assets," for example, not bringing their product to market at ridiculously low prices.

Having said that, it seems I'm seeing more of the same: some incredibly high IPs (monthly) but then they decline to the "Bakken norm" fairly quickly. 

From the reader:

I was visiting family in Killdeer over July 4th weekend. Was curious about the Marshall wells since reviewing their history I noted the NDIC was reported flowing. I figured for the historical production of the area and current of the Marshall they surely were on pump. They were not pumping they were still flowing. Initial numbers were not eye popping but when you look at the decline curve that give me pause for curiosity. See below.

The CLR wells immediately to the east went on pump right away and after ten years have not produced as much as the above well in a little over a year.

We visited with a relative that owns land that the pipeline from the booster station to Bear Creek is being built on. He is a retired petroleum engineer so he knows a thing or two about what is going on there. He told me the new gas line under construction will pretty much wrap around the Killdeer Mountains when it is done.

Marathon well:

The Nadia well showing a little steeper decline than the Marshall well; this well is a TF1 whereas the  Marshall was MB. Appears to be flowing? [F] = flowing, no pump. The scanned information will lag what is going on in the field.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yes, I'm sure there's an easy way to fix it but it's always a pain to go back in and change the layout to keep this from happening. This is a download / copy and paste direct from the reader.

      I'll try later to fix the format. Thank you.

      Delete