Thursday, June 4, 2020

Trump Administration Reverses Obama Administration Regarding Tribe's Mineral Rights Under The River -- June 4, 2020

Just when I think I have a slow news day, an alert reader wakes me up.

This should get one's attention:
At stake is an estimated $100 million in oil royalties waiting in escrow to be claimed as well as any future payments. Three Affiliated Tribes Chairman Mark Fox said he plans to take legal action “ASAP,” likely with a federal lawsuit.
From the reader:
I haven't seen anything about this in your blog. An "M-Opinion" was issued by the Dept. of Interior last week - May 26th.
It is huge news because it reverses an eleventh hour M-Opinion issued by the Obama Administration just days before the end of his term and concludes that the State of North Dakota owns the minerals under the Missouri Riverbed on the Fort Berthold Reservation. Keep in mind that the Riverbed refers to the land prior to the construction of the Garrison Dam.

The issue of mineral ownership has languished for years. Many felt that Obama waited so long to issue the M-Opinion because it was not well supported by the law and precedence. However, there are arguments on both sides of the issue and it is likely that the Tribe will initiate legal action to pursue their contention of ownership.
Screenshot of from the second link below:


Links:
I haven't  had time to look at all three links but will get them posted, since I was already late with this story.

I immediately checked Geoff Simon's top ND stories for last week, dated May 29, 2020. Unless I missed it, I didn't see this story at his newsletter, either.

Interestingly, the story was published in the San Antonio (Texas) Express-News yesterday, June 3, 2020. I will archive the entire article so it's not lost. Archived here.

See also this post from December 28, 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment