Sunday, September 10, 2017

The Market And Energy Page, T+233

Active rigs:

$47.569/10/201709/10/201609/10/201509/10/201409/10/2013
Active Rigs553770199184

Don't Mess With Walmart. Friday afternoon I caught less than 45 seconds of a heated discussion by the CNBC traders talking about the retailers -- Walmart, Target, and Amazon. Since I missed the first part, I had no idea what they were talking about. It turns out they were "discussing" investment in the retail sector after Target mentioned that it was going to "slash prices on thousands of items."

Following that announcement shares in TGT dropped about 2%, I believe. Here's the story, over at CNBC.

Two thoughts: when it comes to pricing in this sector, you take on Walmart at your own peril. Even if they don't have the lowest prices on absolutely everything on any given day, the perception is that they do.

However, it seems that among Amazon, Target, Walmart we've moved beyond pricing. Maybe a tagline at the end of every commercial reminding folks of their low prices is in order, but an emphasis on convenience, customer service, advantages, etc. needs to be emphasized. My wife, in a million years, would never think of becoming an Amazon Prime member, but she's an avid watcher of many different television series, many of which she misses when they are first aired on television. It is not uncommon for her to find them streaming on Amazon Prime -- for free -- and now she really, really appreciates "our" Prime Amazon membership.

Disclaimer: this is not an investment site. Do not make any investment, financial, job, travel, or relationship decisions based on what you read here or think you may have read here.

Soccer Shot

Middle granddaughter, Saturday, September 9, 2017.

No comments:

Post a Comment