Monday, October 5, 2015

European Immigration Crisis Has Fallen Off The Front Page, But It's Just The Beginning; Monday, October 5, Part V

NDIC starting to release August, 2015, production data. 

********************************
Whoo-Hoo!

Huge financial windfall for the Gulf states -- mostly Louisiana, I assume -- will get $8 billion to "reclaim" the coast. 

*********************************** 
Tip Of The Iceberg

European "migrant" crisis just beginning, no end in sight. The AP is reporting:
... the migrant crisis has largely fallen off the front pages and reporters are going home.
But the human tide keeps rolling northward and westward, and aid agencies are preparing for it to continue through the winter, when temperatures along the migrant trail will drop below freezing. They fear the crisis may get worse.
"One thing is clear, the movement is not going to die down," said Babar Baloch, the U.N. refugee agency's representative in the Balkans. "What we are seeing right now ... it's just the tip of the iceberg."
While over a half million people have crossed the Mediterranean to Europe this year, more than double the figure for all of 2014, that is only a fraction of the people who are on the move. Some 4 million have fled Syria after more than four years of civil war, and 8 million have been displaced inside the country. And it's not just Syrians. It's Iraqis and Iranians, Afghans and Eritreans.
I had forgotten about the Eritreans.

**************************
Overwhelmed And Awesomely Surprised

I bought this book sight unseen, as they say in the midwest. I forget the cost, but it must have been expensive. I assumed it was being shipped from somewhere in the US. Imagine my surprise then when it originated in London and was shipped by "Royal Mail." I believe I first saw the book review in The New York Review of Books. If you are all interested in this subject, I highly recommend it. If not for yourself, then order a copy for your grandchildren.

The book: Evolution: The Whole Story, Steve Parker, General Editor; and, foreward Alice Roberts. I had just completed Vital Question: Energy, Evolution, and the Origins of Complex Life, Nick Lane, c. 2015, and realized I was falling a bit behind in most recent theories of evolution.

As soon as I saw the branching "tree of life" in Evolution: The Whole Story, I knew we were all on the same page. 

No comments:

Post a Comment