Sunday, March 16, 2014

Nothing To Do With Oil; Everything To Do With North Dakota

NOTE:  
Bear Den oil field has been updated
Big Bend oil field has been updated.

The Dickinson Press is reporting:
Ropers from around the country have flocked this week to the Bowman County Fairgrounds to be critiqued and molded into better athletes by a true rodeo legend, eight-time National Finals Rodeo champion Joe Beaver.
The Beaver roping clinic has been helping ropers of all ages and talent move up to another level of competition for the past 20 years. This is the fifth year the clinic has been held in North Dakota — the past four years have been in Bismarck — and Beaver works individually with each participant.
“It’s seeing how the kids come back year after year and they improve, and what they get out of rodeo,” Beaver said. “There’s guys making the national finals that I’ve had in my clinics, there’s kids in the college finals, winning it and sending me texts and stuff about, ‘I won the college finals,’ or ‘I won the high school finals.’ And that’s the reward of it.”
For a little town, Bowman certainly seems to have its act together. A lot of things going on in their part of the world.

**********************************

Sunday morning coming down:

Sure Am Glad To Be Around, Chuck Suchy
 
*************************************
A Note To The Granddaughters


Through serendipity and keeping my ears open, I have come across favorites from suggestions made by close friends, family, acquaintances, beautiful women, the homeless. 

I never, in a million years, would have come across Henry James, the author, had Colleen not mentioned him in passing one day. She did not have a college education but was one of the brightest women, and best read women, I had ever met. Henry James, The Beast In The Jungle, haunts me to this day.

My younger daughter introduced me to Catcher in the Rye.

My closest friend growing up in Williston mentioned Chuck Suchy to me.

A German professor introduced me to Goethe, poetry, which was critical to my reading in literature.

My brother introduced Leonard Cohen to me, and perhaps was the reason I now own several Bose CD players.

I forget who introduced me to Jerry Jeff Walker. It's hard to believe I stumbled across him by accident.

A passing acquaintance in graduate school introduced me to Gustav Mahler. 

A most beautiful woman introduced me to Arvo Part. Or was it the other way around?

No comments:

Post a Comment