Friday, January 25, 2013

Heidi Skeptical About the "Assault on Weapons" Ban -- Nothing About the Bakken --

Link here to Bloomberg
The five Democratic senators from traditionally pro-gun states who have recently expressed skepticism about the bill are Max Baucus and Jon Tester of Montana, Mark Begich of Alaska, Heidi Heitkamp of North Dakota and Joe Manchin of West Virginia. Independent Senator Angus King of Maine, who is caucusing with Democrats, also said he opposes a ban. 
Interestingly enough, the measures in the proposed ban -- at least the ones I am familiar with -- seem pretty "tame."

I have no dog in this fight either. I'm only commenting on it because I enjoy politics (when it doesn't send me into a depression), and this seems to be about the best political theater we will have until Congress has to raise the debt ceiling again.

The bigger point to be made: a reminder that North Dakota has the same number of senators as California. Or New York. 

I was curious: I wondered how Harry Reid would vote on this? I can't recall hearing his thoughts on the president's proposal. But if you read far enough into the linked article, you will find this:
Further dimming prospects for the assault weapon ban, Majority Leader Harry Reid of Nevada and Mary Landrieu of Louisiana, both Democrats, voted against extending a previous ban in 2004. Neither has made any public statements since Newtown indicating that they will change their positions.
I was correct: I hadn't heard anything from Harry on this issue.

Go ahead, make my day. Dirty Harry

No comments:

Post a Comment