Monday, September 5, 2011

Holding the Bacon, Lettuce, Tomato, and the Mayonnaise in the Bakken

I won't mention where we were this past weekend so as not to embarrass anyone, but I almost experienced a scene out of Five Easy Pieces:




Five Easy Pieces

Dad and I stopped at a small diner for lunch (not in Williston). I was hungry; dad said he was not hungry. Just as I was mentioning to dad that if he was not hungry maybe he would just like some toast and coffee, the waitress came into our conversational sphere and said, "Breakfast is over. No toast. You can order anything on the lunch side of the menu, but nothing on the breakfast side."

I ordered a bacon-lettuce-tomato sandwich to share with dad. You have no idea how much I wanted to order him his own BLT and to tell the waitress to hold the bacon, lettuce, and tomato, and mayonnaise, and just bring dad some toast.

Smile. Yup. Life imitating art.

2 comments:

  1. Come to california i will take you and your dad to (many) restaurants that will blow you away with their desire and drive to serve their customers above and beyond what is on the menu under any circumstances .

    Here is a (short) list:

    Z cafe bonsall
    Rockin baja lobster Oceanside harbor
    Coyote bar and grill Carlsbad

    Many more but this is a start. These folks know how to take care of their customers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have roots in San Pedro, California; family in Huntington Beach (Surf City), California; and, connections with much of the rest of California (school there, etc), so I will keep the list of restaurants for when I return, as I do throughout the year. Smile.

    But I did have to laugh when we were told about breakfast vs lunch menu. In North Dakota, there is often not a whole of difference between the lunch menu and the breakfast menu. Except maybe for the soup and salad at lunch.

    Thank you for taking the time to write.

    ReplyDelete