Saturday, July 16, 2011

Nice Human Interest Story on Middle-Aged Man Willing To Start New Career in the Oil Patch

This story was also picked up by Rigzone.com if the link below is broken. 

Link here (regional links break early). Data points from The Dickinson Press; read the entire story at the link.

Steve Kass of Hayward, Wis., is one of those relocators.

He moved to Dickinson after work in Wisconsin slowed.

He added a few people in his community were moving to North Dakota because they had heard a lot of places were hiring.

“One thing that really surprised me was how nice everyone in North Dakota is.”He added other things that surprised him were the lack of trees, general landscape and the amount of wind.

“Everyday there is wind,” Kass said laughing.

Two days after the job fair both men were hired.

“I had no experience,” Kass said. “I did not even know what an oil field looked like, but they trained me and things are going well.”Kass said sometimes he feels like a fish out of water yet because of his lack of experience and because most of his coworkers are younger than him.

“My boss is 21, I’m 42,” Kass said. “I never thought I’d have to start over again.”

Kass said what he misses most is his family.

No comments:

Post a Comment