Monday, October 25, 2010

Funding for Minot Bypass Project Could Increase Railroad Oil Capacity (Bakken, ND, USA)

I had not planned to post this link or cover this story because I thought it had limited interest. However, I was sent a nice note pointing out this link and alerting me to "Tiger II" funding by DOT. The individual asked what additional impact DOT funding might have, I assume, in this geographic area.

The reason I post this is because the metric in the story is very useful. The Minot bypass project will improve railroad oil shipment efficiencies.
The Minot oil facility, which is located at the intermodal facility, has the ability to receive and ship 30,000 barrels of oil per day, equivalent to 136 truckloads. With the improvements proposed as a part of the Minot Bypass project, the facility will be positioned to dramatically expand its capacity. 
And that's the key metric: 30,000 barrels/day = 136 truckloads of oil.

I cannot answer the question how much more Tiger II funding from DOT will impact the Bakken. Time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment