Saturday, January 9, 2021

Re-Locations: Tennessee Claims #1 Spot For First Time Ever; Texas In Top 2 For Fifth Straight Year -- U-Haul's Annual Report -- January 9, 2020

Updates

January 10, 2021: a reader responds --

I've rented a U-Haul numerous times to haul stuff from ND to NM.  I didn't change addresses or households - I just inherited a lot of stuff over the years.  I've never used United Van lines.  So, another "bump" in the numbers is that you'll see higher U-Haul numbers to states where someone already has a house. In addition, see this reader's much longer note.

Original Post

Re-locations: tracked here.

Annual U-Haul report (2020 data):

  • Tennessee: largest net gain; #1 in 2020; up from #12 the previous year;
  • Texas: for three consecutive years, Texas had the largest net gain of one-way U-Haul trucks before Florida displaced it for the number one spot last year;
  • Florida: #3 in 2020 (#1 in 2019)
  • rounding out the top ten (previous year);
    • Ohio, #4 (7)
    • Arizona, #5 (20)
    • Colorado, #6 (42)
    • Missouri, #7 (13)
    • Nevada, #8 (24)
    • North Carolina, #9 (3)
    • Georgia, #10 (16)

HOW COINCIDENTAL: on same evening I get the story above, sent to me by a reader, my Carpe Diem subscription sent me this: United Van Lines' top ten inbound vs top 10 outbound US states in 2020. I haven't looked at this yet. Let's see how it compares with the U-Haul report above.

Top ten inbound:

  • Idaho
  • South Carolina
  • Oregon
  • South Dakota
  • Arizona
  • North Caroline
  • Tennessee
  • Alabama
  • Florida
  • Arkansas

Top ten outbound:

  • New Jersey
  • New York
  • Illinois
  • Connecticut
  • California
  • Kansas
  • North Dakota
  • Massachusetts
  • Ohio
  • Maryland

This jumps out at me:

  • on the U-Haul list, Texas is consistently in the top two (for the past five years)
  • on the United Van Lines list, Texas is not even among the top ten
  • this suggests to me that lower income -- those who cannot afford a professional mover -- are larger group of those moving to Texas than to other states, like Tennessee or Florida.

2 comments:

  1. younger Movers will rent U-haul , move themselves. Seniors hire it Moved. don

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found the dichotomy between the U-Haul list and the United Van Lines list very, very interesting. As an "In-bound state," Texas was on the U-Haul (top two for past five years) and didn't even show up among the top ten in the United Van Lines list. In my apartment complex, I see an average of a "U-Haul" move once a week. I see a "United Van Lines" move maybe once every six months, if that. Our apartment complex has very, very few millenials; mostly young families with one to two children; and a lot of retirees.

      Delete