Thursday, April 25, 2024

Rambling On The Market Today -- April 25, 2024

Locator: 47072INV.

BREAKING: Alphabet surges after earnings beat, first-ever dividend. Folks might want to prepare for tomorrow; after-hour tech trading reacting to the news.

I'm traveling so I'm not watching CNBC live on television.

I saw early this morning that the Dow dropped 300+ points.

I checked in after the close: the DOW dropped by more than 370 points.

The NASDAQ closed down 101 points, and yet this was one of my best days on the market in the past few weeks. Pleasantly surprised. I'm not going to look through my portfolio to understand why. I don't want to jinx things or be dismayed. LOL.
I made my trades earlier today and have one more huge trade tomorrow morning at the market open.

Some headlines from CNBC webpage and observations:

  • F: I still have to go back and blog about Ford. Very strange -- for lack of a better word -- analyst response to Ford's 1Q24 report.
  • tech:
    • MSFT cloud growth accelerates on back of AI push
    • SNAP shares soar by 25% -- sorry Josh -- his kids were correct
    • INTC: fell aftr providing weak forecast for the current quarter; still down't know what business it's in -- fell almost 2%
      • holy mackerel -- after hours, it got even worse; INTC droppe over 8% in after-hour trading
      • compare with AVGO: up $38 during the day; up another $12 after hours
      • QCOM: flat
      • NVDA: up %30 during the day; up another $16 after hours
    • AMD: up 2% during the day; up another 1% after hours
  • JPMback to "stagflation" 
    • becomes a stock-picker's market
    • perhaps stagflation for the bankers; not for tech
  • META: tumbles 10% on weak guidance and CEO's distaste for all the money wasted by his company
  • Southwest Airline's "open seating" business plan has been a debacle
    • fliers hate it;
    • rivals have touted high revenue growth for premium seating

Speaking of F, what did the other EV companies do:

  • TSLA: up nicely during the day and after hours
  • RIVN: down 4% during the day
  • GM: up slightly;

I don't know what the analysts and talking heads are saying; why they seem to be wringing their hands, but scrolling through CNBC and Yahoo!Finance -- wow, the news is incredible, it seems, for investors.

Yahoo!Finance has an article suggesting "no landing" vs a "soft landing." I've called it a "touch and go" for at least six months:

  • we'll touch an inflation low; the Feds will call it "great" -- close enough to 2% even if it's not exactly 2%;
  • and then the economy takes off, as in a "touch and go."

******************************
Disclaimer -- Briefly

Reminder: I am inappropriately exuberant about the US economy and the US market, I am also inappropriately exuberant about all things Apple.

See disclaimer. This is not an investment site.

Disclaimer: this is not an investment site. Do not make any investment, financial, job, career, travel, or relationship decisions based on what you read here or think you may have read here. 

All my posts are done quickly: there will be content and typographical errors. If anything on any of my posts is important to you, go to the source. If/when I find typographical / content errors, I will correct them. 

Again, all my posts are done quickly. There will be typographical and content errors in all my posts. If any of my posts are important to you, go to the source.

Reminder: I am inappropriately exuberant about the US economy and the US market, I am also inappropriately exuberant about all things Apple.

No comments:

Post a Comment