Sunday, May 24, 2020

Notes From All Over -- Sunday, Memorial Day Edition, Part II -- Nothing About The Bakken -- May 24, 2020

TCM: Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo. Wow. I won't watch much of the movie, but I might re-read the wiki entry and see where this "rabbit hole" takes me. I was unaware of the San Antonio connection but it explains a lot. "First leg," as it were:
  • Eglin, FL: T/O
  • San Antonio, TX: re-fuel
  • Alameda Air Field
Later: watching the scenes over Tokyo I was quite "moved." My wife was born in Yokohama in 1949, she of Japanese (her mother) and Mexican (her father) descent. The Doolittle raid and atomic bombs later put Wuhan flu in perspective. Journalists worried about whether the president was wearing a cloth mask when touring the Ford factory earlier this week. 
Struggling. I hate to beat a dead horse, but I am really, really enjoying re-reading about the Scottish Enlightenment. See notes to the grandchildren at the bottom of this post. But I'm struggling. Our oldest granddaughter would really benefit from these two books. She would really, really enjoy these two books but it's not my place to "push on her" what I like or what I think might benefit her.
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make the horse drink."
In addition to the political history that Arianna is really interested in and philosophy, a secondary interest, or perhaps vice versa, simply the writing and all the vocabulary is to good to not share with others. The vocabulary is most important, an opportunity that should not be lost. I have a plan. We'll see.
Open Library: amazingly, How The Scots Invented The Modern World  is freely available over at "Open Library."

Sturgis rally: somewhat "up in the air," but more than likely will occur. Link here.  Knowing the editorial slant of The Bismarck Tribune, this news probably irritates them to the nth degree. LOL.
  • Dates to know:
    • June 15, 2020: Sturgis City Council to decide
    • August 7 - 17, 2020: tentative dates for this year's Sturgis Rally
iPad: I "officially" handed over my  relatively brand-new iPad Pro to Sophia on Friday. It's hers. The iPad, the charger, and a special carrying bag, everything. She was overjoyed. She asked if it was really hers. I said, "Yes, but she would still bring it over to our apartment when she came to visit." I was a bit ambiguous in my answer about true "ownership," but now that I've been without it for two days, it appears I can live without it. My bedtime reading habits will change. I have been looking at the Apple site as well as Costco for pricing of the iPad Pro. LOL.

Take My Breath Away, Berlin

Inspired:
  • Berlin, "Take My Breath Away," Top Gun
  • Karen O, "The Immigrant Song," The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
  • Maurice Jarre, "Lara's Theme," Doctor Zhivago
  • Herman Hupfeld, "As Time Goes By," Casablanca
  • Various, movie theme songs, James Bond (link here)
  • Henry Mancini/Johnny Mercer/Audrey Hepburn, "Moon River," Breakfast At Tiffany's
  • Max Steiner/Mack Discant, theme, A Summer Place"

No comments:

Post a Comment