Monday, June 20, 2016

Nothing About The Bakken; Grilling -- June 20, 2016

A lot of Bakken-related news and other energy news was posted a few minutes ago. Scroll down. This post has nothing about the Bakken. At least not yet.

The grilled fish turned out quite well last night: tuna steaks, scallops, sea bass, trout. The branzino recipe worked out very, very well. I learned a lot.

One of the highlights: roasted scallions, a fancy name for green onions. Scallions/green onions are NOT spring onions. Probably pretty basic for everyone out there, but not for me, and I loved the roasted scallions. When growing up in North Dakota, walking/hiking in the back country, I often came across wild onions and occasionally even tasted some. I assume they were the "white wild onions" described at this site. If I had not brought anything along with me to eat (and I generally did not) I actually found the onions helped relieve my hunger pangs. Pulling the onions out of the ground, taking off as much dirt as possible, and then eating them; it never bothered me to swallow a bit of soil in these situations. I think I actually made onion soup (wild onions and boiling water) during some USAF survival training years ago.

There was so much fish to sample, we each had portions, that's why there is only half of the whole rainbow trout on the plate below. The plate also has small tuna steak, scallop, and sea bass.


Without question, the easiest thing on the grill: rainbow trout. Actually, everything was incredibly easy. But things move fast when the grilling starts. Tuna, scallops only take a few minutes. Trout was about 10 - 12 minutes, I suppose; maybe 20 minutes tops if left over indirect heat. The sea bass took longer than expected; not sure what that was all about. The recipe called for it to be sautéed stove top but perhaps the aluminum foil I used on the grill interfered with the heat, but I really can't believe that. It was a thick fillet of sea bass, and really, really moist with the dashi sauce. I am eager to try it again.


Chilean sea bass -- is expensive -- $25/pound locally -- making trout the go-too fish for me. Much less expensive and it's easy, easy, easy to grill or bake.

***********************************

Before returning the rental scuba tanks, our older son-in-law taught our middle granddaughter how to use the regulator. Our older granddaughter and her dad received their certification in scuba diving over the weekend.


And finally, while the others were learning how to scuba dive, out youngest granddaughter was resting with her big sister. It had been a long, long day, and she was thrilled just to be resting comfortably. Wow, she loved the water. A big difference from a month ago when she wanted nothing to do with the water.

No comments:

Post a Comment