Friday, August 2, 2013

I Remember Whitby With Fond Memories -- And I Also Remember When North Dakota Potash Was All The Rage

Bloomberg is reporting:
Opponents of England’s first planned potash mine in 40 years can thank Russian billionaire Suleiman Kerimov for helping their cause.
A decision by OAO Uralkali to withdraw from a powerful marketing venture has upended the world’s $20 billion potash industry and is set to slash prices. The news reverberated in the seaside town of Whitby this week, where a former Citigroup Inc. banker wants to spend $1.9 billion tunneling beneath a national park and the North Sea to unearth the commodity. 
If folks are interested in the North Dakota potash story, I have a link at the bottom of the blog, "potash."

The story mentioned Whitby, Yorkshire, England. Back in 2002 (or thereabouts) I walked the English seaside coast from Robin Hood's Bay to Whitby. That was one of the toughest slogs I've ever hiked but my traveling companion made it all worth it. Great memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment