Thursday, March 14, 2013

A Random and Miscellaneous Note Regarding Scams; Nothing To Do With The Blog; Nothing To Do With The Bakken

Some time ago I mentioned that some readers were getting a warning when they accessed the blog -- various anti-virus software programs were catching something regarding the site.

My links only go to "legitimate" websites and PDFs. If I get a warning (and I think it's only happened once) with regard to a link I try to access, I don't link it to the blog. 

A reader sent me a note mentioning that one of his friends was scammed at a "fake eBay" site while trying to buy a motorcycle engine on-line. That reader just wanted me to alert folks to be aware of scams on-line. So, there's the warning. This had nothing to do with this blog; completely unrelated.

The reader was concerned that a lot of folks, relatively new to the internet because of their interest in the Bakken and their mineral rights, might be easily scammed, not understanding the risks inherent with on-line commerce.

This provides another opportunity to tell folks that this blog never asks for personal information, and never tries to sell anything through the blog. Occasionally readers will send me notes regarding property for sale (or something along that line) and I will post it, but I always make it clear I have no relationship with the individual posting the information.

No comments:

Post a Comment