Sunday, December 19, 2010

The iPad -- Not a Bakken Story -- But Surprising News, Nontheless

I have never owned a non-Apple personal computer. My first desktop computer was an Apple -- bought back in 1984 or thereabouts (I forget the exact year) and my daughters, starting at age two and six years of age, have grown up with them.

I bought an Apple iPad the first day the 3G (wireless) model became available (April 30, 2010), and I have found it incredible.

My wife and I live in various locations around the US (Boston, Los Angeles, San Antonio, and Williston [North Dakota]) following our grandchildren around, and could not afford to have wireless / internet cable in each of those locations. The iPad is perfect for our situation. In addition, while traveling, we are guaranteed wireless access wherever we end up. It truly is remarkable.

I didn't have the iPad yesterday while traveling because my wife had it in Los Angeles, where I am now.

This morning, without getting out of bed, I was able to catch up on all my e-mail, and update my blog using the iPad. I minimized my comments due to fact I was using the virtual keyboard, but now I'm up and about, and the iPad is in its dock with the not-so-miniature keyboard, and I can type to my heart's content.

I do not own stock in Apple, Inc. (Another mistake I made.) But not owning stock in Apple, Inc., I feel comfortable recommending one for a family member or yourself for a Christmas gift.

The second generation iPad is likely to be released in about two months, February, 2011. It will have at least one camera, maybe two (front-facing, and rear-facing) as well as a USB slot. I can only assume the price will go up if these add-ons are included. I have no need for either the camera or the USB slot. It's very possible the price of the first generation iPad will go down if the model is discontinued when the new model comes out. But even if it isn't, I am likely to get a second first-generation model, if only so my wife can keep hers (which I bought for her) and I will have one while traveling. They really are magical.

The 250 megabyte download on a monthly basis for $25 cannot be beat. If one doesn't download movies, the 250 megabytes is more than enough for e-mail and routine internet surfing.

Wow, wow, wow --- I just checked ATT iPad plans to make sure I was correct on the pricing, and wow, am I surprised! ATT has now lowered the monthly rate to $14.99.

That's incredible. The competition for wireless access must be huge.

Update: see comments below regarding ATT 3G coverage in North Dakota. Here's the link regarding ATT coverage: http://mobile.engadget.com/2010/06/23/atandt-seals-deal-on-verizons-divested-alltel-marhttp://mobile.engadget.com/2010/06/23/atandt-seals-deal-on-verizons-divested-alltel-markets/kets/.

Comment: I got a kick out of this requirement that Verizon sell Alltel wireless; it was a huge gift to ATT as far as I can see. What a great country. ATT, by the way, raised its dividend and is considering a 300 million share buyback.

6 comments:

  1. My wife had her 3G ipad along when we visited Williston last summer and had no 3G service. Has this changed?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are correct. There was no ATT service in Williston last year. But I understand ATT will cover North Dakota by end of 2011. ATT just bought a company covering most of the midwest.

    However, I traveled Amtrak from Boston to Portland, Oregon, last summer, with long stop in Williston, and was always able to connect with my iPad. It seemed most of fly-over country from western Massachusetts to eastern Oregon was not covered by ATT, but I always connected automatically via "roaming." I was always worried about extra charges, but never was charged anything more than the standard monthly rate.

    That is not true internationally. I have not traveled with my iPad overseas but the internet and the ATT site specifically says huge charges can be incurred overseas with the iPad.

    I used the iPad everywhere on that long Amtrak trip with no problems. In Williston, I used the computers in the public library for full keyboard and used free wi-fi in McDonald's where I could listen to oil workers' conversations. So, I honestly don't recall if I used ATT 3G in Williston, but I certainly used it on the train in all of North Dakota and was always able to connect.

    As noted earlier, this should be moot by end of next year when ATT will over North Dakota and most of the rest of "fly-over" country.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to hear ATT is planning better coverage for North Dakota. I was in Burke county in October and really felt out of touch on the farm. In most of Burke county there was nothing, ATT cell service or internet. Most of the people living there had Verizon. I could get the internet on my Iphone in Kenmare but nothing in the smaller towns.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope it's better coverage! The proof will be in the pudding. My hunch is they will use existing Alltel towers / transmitters, and be slow to add additional hardware. Frustration, to say the least. The good news is that the oil industry will put a lot of pressure on the internet providers ot improve service.

    Thank you for stopping by. I really enjoy it when folks touch base with me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Look at the Verizon Five Spot ..its a portable wifi half the size of a cell phone....much better coverage from Verizon. AT@T was recently voted the worst carrier. I am paying around 35 dollars/month for 3 gigs of data....4 g service will be coming out in the future. But the Ipad....but dont get the 3G service..opt for the Verizon Five Spot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Half the size of a cell phone? Watching movies on that? I couldn't even blog on something that tiny.

    I have never had carrier problems with ATT.

    The survey you referred to was taken during huge buildout of wireless at same time wireless products were exploding in number. Things have changed in the past year and no one should have carrier problems if they buy the carrier with best coverage in their area.

    It should be noted ATT just bought Qualcomm 4G spectrum which will cover most of the US. This was just announced a few hours ago.

    Anyway, I've been reading the news, blogging, for the past hour or so while lying in bed, waiting for the day to begin, loving every minute on my iPad. I can't imagine doing that on something half the size of a cell phone.

    We must be comparing apples to oranges. But for $15/month for all the 3G I need is incredible. Remember: wi-fi is free "everywhere" and for heavy use, I simply go where there is free wi-fi, my favorite being McDonald's.

    ReplyDelete