Wednesday, November 24, 2010

New Record: 162 Active Rigs in North Dakota

Someone beat me to it, alerting me to 162 active rigs in North Dakota. I had just checked, not more than ten minutes earlier.

This truly is incredible.

On other posts, I do talk about the ability for the infrastructure to keep up and the turmoil this activity is putting on surface owners, county roads, etc.

But it is what it is, and I'm just tracking the active rigs as one of many data points on this site.

I thought "we" would top out at 145 rigs this past summer simply because the infrastructure could not support more, but I was really, really wrong.

2 comments:

  1. To get to the real chase that is going on. We would have to seperate all of the takeovers. The purchasing companies are the actual drilling companies. One would have to weed out (Peak,Aog, Tracker,)and any other takeovers. The picture will change with the numbers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unless the deals are big or noteworthy for some reason, I will miss many of the deals. This is the norm in business: takeovers, mergers, buyouts, etc., so they will just be reported as small news stories in trade journals. But I am convinced that 2011 will be the year of shakeouts. I had been thinking that, then recently saying it once in awhile, but the tipping point was the Williams Cos deal. WMB has a market cap of $14 billion; CLR has a market cap of $9 billion.

    Thank you for commenting. I always enjoy the feedback.

    ReplyDelete