Saturday, May 30, 2015

The (London) Telegraph Article On Energy, The Mideast, And ISIS -- $200 Oil? -- May 30, 2015

The Telegraph has an incredibly good article on energy, the Mideast, and ISIS. Such a good article, and again it's a British paper that has the article. I'll talk more about it later. (This is such an important article, I've archived the entire article. If the link ever breaks and you want to see the story let me know.)

For now, a bit of reminiscing. Some years ago, the US Air Force sent me to northern England (Yorkshire) for prolonged periods of time for what they call "temporary duty." Over the course of several years, I probably racked up two to three, maybe almost four years cumulative time in Yorkshire, England.

While there I had a wonderful time. My job was strictly a 40-hour workweek, generally slightly less. I could not work longer if I had wanted. The building in which I worked was maintained by the "Brits" and it was an "8-to-4" / '5-days-a-week" operation and there was no getting around. The clinic closed promptly at 4:00 p.m. and I was in my civilian clothes, and hiking the countryside by 4:30 p.m.

We had weekends completely free. By 7:30 a.m. every Saturday I was either hiking or on the train to Knaresborough or Leeds or wherever the train took us. On Sunday, I ran -- yes, ran -- down the hill to the village mom-and-pop "7/11" to buy the two Sunday newspapers, The (London) Times and The (London) Telegraph. I bought eggs and fresh ham, ran back home and had ham and eggs, a beverage, and spent the morning reading two wonderful newspapers before going out for the day.

The (London) Times and The (London) Telegraph were absolutely excellent. In this country only  The New York Times Sunday comes close, but even the NYT is unable to measure up to the London Sunday papers.

***********************
Knock On Wood

Prior to the electrical storm last week, my wi-fi here in the house was problematic -- often not working well during the early evening hours between 4:00 p.m. and  9:00 p.m. But ever since the electrical storm last week, our wi-fi has been incredible. For the first time in three years, our wi-fi is working like I expected it to work.

Knock on wood.

Greatest Hits, ABBA
 
Dancing Queen, 1976 -- almost 40 years ago; seems like yesterday, and still holds its own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment