Saturday, April 20, 2013

North Dakota House Passes Incentives to Minimize Flaring

I thought I had posted this earlier when the House passed the version of their bill. I must not have. Whatever.  [Oh, I just found it; here it is.] The bill was passed in both House and Senate after conference committee hammered out the differences, as I understand it. It's possible I did not post it earlier because I generally don't post updates of legislative action until it's all complete.

The Bismarck Tribune is reporting:
Tax incentives aimed at reducing flaring of gas in North Dakota’s oil patch were approved by the North Dakota House Friday.
Rep. David Drovdal, R-Arnegard, said House and Senate conferees reached agreement on amendments to the bill, and the full House approved them on a vote of 84-7 with three members absent.
The conference committee decided against a provision that would shorten the amount of time that flaring is allowed.
Several story lines:
  • of course I haven't seen the bill (and if sent to me, I won't read it; not enough time), but if it's a "clean" bill as written, it is impressive that it passed 84 - 7
  • no "new" penalties
  • incentives only
  • by "no new penalties," I am mostly thinking of an effort to shorten the amount of time that flaring is allowed
  • it tells me that the legislators know what they are doing; they understand the issue; this issue is a red herring, which I've said from the beginning; it looks like the Legislature agrees
  • I would add one more thought, but best to leave it here, but long time readers probably know where I'm headed

No comments:

Post a Comment