Sunday, September 18, 2011

Home of Economy vs Wal-Mart -- Williston, North Dakota, USA

Someone sent in a comment about Home of Economy in Williston. Knowing that folks might miss comments, here is what I said:

The Williston Home of Economy is a full-size store. It seemed to "stagnate" before the boom, competing with Economart near the high school, and Wal-Mart north of Williston.

But, without question, the only place to shop in Williston for oil field work, farming, and for fishing and hunting, is the Home of Economy. It used to have the best selection of cowboy boots but I forget how extensive the selection is now. However, I was impressed with the selection of winter boots made in Canada by Sorel. The boots are like I remember. I bought my first (and only pair) about 20 years ago for $60, and I think they were selling for about $100 now at the Home of Economy. The boots may not have changed a whole lot, but the marketing has. I think I need to do a stand-alone post on Sorel boots. Smile.

Home of Economy is NOT a mess, as has been suggested of Wal-Mart by others. Home of Economy seems to keep work boots and clothing in stock. They have a poor selection of western dress shirts but I doubt most of the folks who shop there are looking for clothes for church or fancy dining out.

Contrary to what others have said, I have found no problems with stock at Wal-Mart. Yes, there are often stacks of unopened merchandise waiting to be stocked on shelves, and they do run out of things (like iPads) but that's true everywhere, where US industry has learned to "ship just in time." JIT was probably introduced about 20 years ago and accounts for much of the shortage of merchandise in some areas of the country.

But the individual who said that Williston Wal-Mart looked like it had just gone through a natural disaster suggests that that individual had never been in a natural disaster. Smile.

The problems with Wal-Mart: a) long walk across the parking lot; b) long walk around the store to find everything; and, c) the long checkout lines.

Home of Economy: one can park practically at the front door; the checkout lines are short; the checkout clerks talk to you about your work and your "time-off" plans; and the prices are fair.

So, yes, I love Home of Economy.

No comments:

Post a Comment