Thursday, April 19, 2018

Making America Great Again! The Federal Government Cedes Control On CCS To North Dakota -- April 19, 2018

Don sent me this story some weeks ago. I did not post it at the time, I don't think. Can't remember. If I did not post it, I don't remember why. Maybe I was very busy. Whatever.

Here it is now, sent to me by another reader: the EPA -- the federal government, wow -- approves North Dakota's request to manage its CSS program! Data points:
  • the State of North Dakota felt that it (the state) could "implement and enforce" its own Class VI Underground Injection Control (UIC) program; and, requested permission to do so
  • oh, yes, now I remember, I did do a google search to learn about the UIC program and then moved on
  • Class VI UIC: long-term storage of CO2 captured from industrial and energy-related sources
  • generally referred to as CCS: carbon capture and storage
  • 2016: the state awarded almost one-half million dollars to Red Tail Energy and the EERC (UND) to study CCS at Red Tail Energy's ethanol manufacturing facility near Richardton, ND, to reduce the carbon footprint associated with ethanol production
Now, I remember why I did not post it (if, in fact, I did not post it): the press release exceeded the acronym/sentence ratio allowed by the blog's editor.

In short hand, this is how the above data points would have looked:
  • EPA grants ND I&E of Class VI Underground Injection Control (UIC)  
  • Class VI UIC: LTS of CO2 from I&ER sources
  • Class VI UIC: CCS
  • 2016: ND awarded $490K to Red Tail Energy & EERC (UND) to study CCS at RTE's EMF near 58652 to reduce the CF associated with EP
Comment: I am amazed that the federal government would trust the state of North Dakota to "implement and enforce" CCS. Making America great again!

By the way, it is my understanding that President Trump is in favor of carbon capture and storage; but he is adamantly against carbon capture and release.

Later: my bad. A reader informed me that President Trump has not tweeted on carbon capture and release. Trump's concern with "capture and release" has to do with illegal immigrants along the southern border.

No comments:

Post a Comment