Sunday, November 6, 2011

Whiting to Build Northern Ops Regional Branch in Watford City -- Not Confirmed -- Also, Power Fuels -- Photos -- The Bakken, North Dakota, USA

As regular readers know, I have noted on numerous occasions, Whiting oil has a northern Bakken operation centered around New Town, North Dakota, in its Sanish oil field, just west of where the North Dakota Bakken first broke out, the Parshall oil field.

Whiting's southern Bakken operation is centered around Belfield.

Tea leaves tell me that Bakken activity is moving to McKenzie County in 2012, with the center of activity at Watford City. I've heard through the grapevine -- or would it be through the hops pasture -- that Whiting will be building a headquarters office in Watford City.

I've wondered when Whiting would be building a headquarters building in the area -- most likely a regional headquarters or a branch office, although the former would be more likely. BEXP built a new building over a year ago, quite a bit west of Williston. Oasis is putting up a huge new office complex west of Williston. I'm trying to remember if I've seen a Continental Resources regional headquarters in the area.

By the way, on the way back from Watford City yesterday, I saw two large man-camps being built just west of the city, right on US Highway 85. It appears there will be two, one right next to each other, if I read the signs correctly. One will be a 400-bed camp.

Incidentally, it appears Power Fuels is fueling the growth in Watford.

I would love to know more about Power Fuels, just for archival purposes: when it was founded; how it has grown (pre-boom to current boom). If Harold Hamm is the face of the Bakken, one almost gets the feeling that Power Fuels has become the face of Watford City. Everything I see about them, everything I hear about them, impresses me. And I could be wrong, but it looks like they used to be called Badlands Power Fuels, and if true, tells me a lot about their heritage. [Update: I was sent this link which provides background to Power Fuels.]

Wow, talk about a disorganized post: I start out with an unconfirmed story about Whiting, touch briefly on man-camps outside of Watford City, and end up talking about Power Fuels.

So, I guess if I have digressed this much, I might as well post photos of the Power Fuels housing complex northwest of the center of Watford:



Pretty impressive, huh? Watford City. I am told this complex will accommodate over 1,000 people. The population of Watford City in the 2010 census was 1,744.

I apologize for the quality of the photos; they were taken early morning on Saturday, November 5, shortly after dawn. It is amazing how much better the photo is when taken with the dawn behind me.

No comments:

Post a Comment