Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Rollefstad 1-3H, Antelope Field, #18159, 16 days, 16 frac stages

The Rollefstad 1-3H has generated a lot of interest. "Rollefstad" is currently the number one item searched on Google regarding the Bakken by those who come to this website. That's cool.

But unbeknownst to me was something else that popped up regarding the Rollefstad 1-3H. While updating the Charlson oil field, I noted that the Rollefstad was in the top ten oil wells that targeted the Three Forks Sanish with regard to cumulative oil production over time. In the first three months, this well produced a cumulative 50,000 barrels ($60/bbl = $3 million). At this rate, the well should be paid for in a couple more months. (Disclaimer: past production results do not predict future production results.)

Just out of curiosity, I went back and looked at its IP. The IP for this very good well was a mediocre (by current standards) 754 bopd. Especially considering it was a CLR well. This is from the CLR press release (Sept 10, 2009): "The Company noted that the Rollefstad 1-3H was drilled to total depth of 20,904 feet in 16 days and was stimulated in 16 stages using the "perf and plug" technique. Final completed well cost is expected to be less than $5 million."

And not only that, this IP was from a "long lateral." Long laterals with IPs less than a 1,000 bopd just don't capture anyone's attention any more.

As long as I'm rambling, this well was spudded July 17, 2009, and it was completed August 30, 2009, according to the NDIC document. I don't think it took 44 days to complete drilling. I think the date to completion included the time to complete fracture stimulation.

The NDIC document also noted that the well targeted the "Sanish" pool, which I assume is the Three Forks Sanish. It does not state whether it was the "upper TFS" or the "lower TFS," formations that are being separated out by other producers. 

Okay, some more rambling. Look at the GIS map.

18159, CLR, Rollefstad 1-3H, Antelope Field, 754, TFS pool
18224, CLR, Hendrickson 1-36H, Elm Tree Field, 1,990, TFS pool, just a 1/2 mile from the Rollefstad
17609, Hess, AN-Norby-152-94-0409H, Antelope, 504, TFS pool, just 1900 ft west of the Rollefstad

I've opined about the IPs being reported by Hess in the past, although the cumulative amount of oil produced by the Norby well looks pretty good.

4 comments:

  1. I noticed the same thing? Possibly number of stages or new completion technology.....High stength propant?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no idea (why so many "Rollefstad" hits. Since I don't mention number of frac stages, much other technical information, I thought it just had to do with mineral rights owners scattered across the US, and/or multiple family members. But it is very striking how many hits for "Rollefstad" are hitting Google.

    I know I sound like a broken record, but I can't believe how much activity is going on in North Dakota with regard to this "boom" -- new technology; multiple wells/pad; multiple formations being targeted; record lease rates; pipeline activity. Just when I think there might be nothing new to report, something else pops up.

    Thank you for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry; I misunderstood -- I thought you were talking about the number of Google hits.

    Now I see what you were talking about: I have no idea what leads to disparity in IPs and oil produced.

    ReplyDelete
  4. embraceyourinnerhillbillyFebruary 17, 2010 at 3:27 PM

    There was a suggestion on the Yazoo! message board to Google " rollefstad antelope ". Perhaps this is the reason for the high search numbers.

    ReplyDelete