Monday, April 20, 2020

It's Getting Curiouser And Curiouser -- April 20, 2020


Something tells me things have gone awry. Seriously awry.

One of the first things I'm going to check tomorrow: OPEC basket at this link

Later. Things have gone very awry. WTI closes at a minus $16.20/bbl.
That means that there were traders who were committed to taking physical oil -- this was not a "paper trade" -- the traders had actually committed for real, physical black oil but they had no place to store it. They scrambled to find places to store it; they couldn't find any storage and had no choice but to sell it back to perhaps the company who was "holding" the oil -- and that company -- free market capitalism -- "kept" it or took it back as long as the "owner" was willing to pay $16.20/bbl. At least that's how I understand it but I don't understand global trading.
****************************
The Movie Page

It's too late; I won't stay up to see the end of the movie. Okay, twenty more minutes -- maybe I can "last" that long.

TCM: Babyface. The 1933 version.

Based on a story by Darryl F. Zanuck.

I was unable to find the "back story." On whom did Zanuck base the story? I have my hunch.

Primary clues: banking, sex, Paris.

Clues: sex (lots of sex, pre-code-Hollywood); woman works her way to the top; moves from NYC to Paris; banking; 1930's.  In real life, husband of whom I am thinking became a maker of experimental films in the late 1940s. Incredibly coincidental. I'm sure I'm wrong, but ...

**************************
Cryptic

Due to nationwide / statewide lock down, all soccer activities for Olivia -- who lives and breathes soccer -- have been canceled for several weeks now. We had a slight ray of hope the other day that there might be some relaxing of the lock down that would allow some soccer practice, but as recently as a few days ago, that fell through.

Then, out of nowhere, moments ago, 12:39 a.m., Monday morning, April 20, 2020, I get a computer-generated e-mail note that practice is scheduled for Tuesday, April 21, 2020, but the input would have come from the coach, suggesting that there has been a "break" in the lock down.

I know the Texas governor has relaxed / eased some restrictions; President Trump has become more vocal about getting the country back to work; and, Tutor Time, Sophia's day care program, has said it will re-open on a limited basis starting April 27, 2020.

The tea leaves suggest -- at least in the local area -- things are starting to move. Very, very interesting. Several weeks ago, the president originally suggested the country would start to "re-open" by Easter.
 We're a week out from Easter. One wonders.

I'm getting far out in front of my headlights, but if the country starts to move / re-open prior to May 1, 2020, things could move very, very quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment