Thursday, March 28, 2019

Natural Gas Fill Rate -- March 28, 2019 -- Thoughts On The Apple iPad

************************************
Everybody Knew

The back-up singers make this song. 

Everybody Knows, Leonard Cohen

**************************************
Back To Business

Natural gas fill-rate, link here:

See Platt's analysis here.

***************************************
The Apple Page

A reader asked me my opinion on which iPad to buy. My reply, curious if anyone has other thoughts.
An iPad. Wow, that's a tough one.

I use mine all the time mostly just to read; they are not particularly good for work (blogging) or replying to lots of e-mail. But to lie in bed and just surf the net, I really enjoy mine. I used to think I couldn't live without an iPad, but not so much any more. Mostly just reading at night (but they can do so much more -- so you will really enjoy it).

Definitely not:
  • iPad Pro -- way more than you need
  • iPad mini -- way too small
So,
  • iPad Air, or
  • iPad (billed as the "most popular")

iPad Air: 10.5 inch -- large, but good size; and this is their "newest" product --
  • $499 for 64 GB
  • $649 for 256 GB
If it's only for reading, not much work, you really don't need much storage, so you could get by with 64 GB but in this day and age, that's not much storage.

iPad:  9.7 inch -- this is what I have; I think the 10.5 inch (above) would be better; and it's their very oldest iPad model
  • $329 for 32 GB
  • $429 for 128 GB
So, that pretty much ends the discussion.

If I was/were going to get a new iPad, it would be the iPad Air, either $499 for 64GB, or $649 for 256 GB.

Either one would be fine.

I would go with the $649, 256 GB, iPad Air.

More storage space for movies/photos if traveling with the grandchildren.

The bad news: the attachable keyboard ($159) and the pencil ($129) are extra.

You don't need the keyboard: there is one on the screen, like a cellphone, but if you do a lot of work with iPad at the table, then maybe a keyboard later on, but not now.

I also wouldn't get the pencil now either, wait and see if you would really use it.

My biggest concern: I've grown up with Apple so it's second nature for me to use any of their products. It might take some time to get used to a new system, but wow, on the road, traveling, great for photos, movies and surfing the net.

Which reminds me: I would get "wi-fi" only. I would not spend the extra $200 or whatever it is for wi-fi + cellular. I don't think you need cellular. I don't buy any more products with cellular. I don't like the monthly bill. And I can find wi-fi almost anywhere.

My cellphone is all I need when I can't find wi-fi.

No comments:

Post a Comment