Later, 8:33 a.m. Central Time: see first comment --
As impressive as the Dragon ship story is (they use ethane to power the ship, also), there are even larger ships - almost triple the size - to transport ethane from the Gulf to India.
Reliance Industries operates the complex in India, I believe.
The amount of gas coming from the Appalachian Basin, by this time next year, will be stunning as many pipelines will be in service by then.
Link here. Data points:
- March 9, 2016
- 27,000 cubic meters of ethane
- loaded on the Ineos Intrepid
- new class of LNG vessel
- 4,000-mile voyage from US to Rafnes, Norway
- first time US shale gas transported to Europe
- made possibly by using new class of LNG carrier
- the Ineos Intrepid
- ship designer: Evergas
- one of eight "Dragon-class" vessels
- world's largest multigas LNG-ethan carriers
- these eight vessels will be the "seaborne pipeline" linking US and Europe
- in addition to Rafnes, the Dragon-class carriers deliver ethane cargoes to Ineos' cracker at Grangemouth, UK