Friday, April 6, 2012

Reader Comments on Whiting's Plans for Their Pronghorn Prospect in Southwestern North Dakota -- The Bakken, North Dakota, USA

This information was sent to me via a comment regarding Whiting's Pronghorn prospect in southwest North Dakota, specifically in Park oil field:
Over the next 3+ yrs, it's going to be 3 in almost every 640 space in that area! Amazing! Soon there will be more wells than trees. The 3 wells per 640-acre spacing holds true to Whiting's 01/2012 report for this area, their Pronghorn prospect.
In the recent NDIC hearing dockets, I have noticed varying strategies for developing the Bakken. In some cases operators are asking for 14 wells in larger units; others are asking for multiple-well pads in smaller units, as small as 320-acre spacing.

But, yes, before it's all over, there will be more wells than trees in western North Dakota.

For more on the Park oil field, click here.

2 comments:

  1. Ha! Thanks for referencing my "trees" comment! Jeremy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've met folks from New York City who think there are no trees in North Dakota.

      Many, many years ago, my brother gave me directions to a homestead north of Williston. He told me to drive north of the 13-mile corner (or whatever it is, I forget) and then drive until I saw a tree. At the tree I was to make a right on the gravel road, etc., etc. The point was that after driving 16 miles or so, the landmark would be a tree.

      Delete