Sunday, July 19, 2020

Notes From All Over -- The Mid-Morning Sunday Edition -- July 19, 2020

From twitter over the last few days:



Link here.

From PowerLine:


US House Democrats outraged with Trump's commutations to date. Will introduce bill to curb his presidential powers.

***********************************
For The Archives

Sunday, July 19, 2020:
  • Swainson's hawks: four spotted between 10:30 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. over Grapevine, TX.
  • PGA: Tiger Woods through eleven holes with four bogeys and one double-bogey, one birdie (#1). I'm sure he just wants to finish the course and get home. It will be interesting to hear the color commentators analyze Woods' play. I just don't see any improvement in his play. Later, ridiculous: the two stroke penalty on Rahm for a ball that moved imperceptively.
  • NASCAR: 2:00 p.m. CDT, Texas Motor Speedway. NBC Sports Network. Good luck finding the network.
Original Post

It was an incredible Saturday.

I spent about three hours in the pool, and had it almost to myself. Three different times, about one hour each time.

Highlight of the day: spotting six Swainson's hawks, see this post for background. I spotted three pair through the day. One pair was out early, about 2:30 p.m. and the last two pair about 4:30. None showed up after 6:00 p.m. Probably flying over Grapevine Lake and DFW.

I only identified the bird a few days ago (previously posted) after seeing them for the first time ever this past week. One of my sources, The Birdsong Bible. Sophia and I have spent hours going through this book, listening to and identifying bird songs.

My copy:


From Amazon:


I'm still in my Greek phase, reading Athens by Christian Meier; The Wooden Horse by Keld Zeuneight; and, Helen of Troy, Bettany Hughes. My tattered copy of Helen of Troy:


And examples of typical pages of notes:



PGA. Eight-stroke swing between #1 and #2 in the last few holes.

TCM: The Maltese Falcon followed by Three Strangers. See this wiki entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment