Wednesday, April 17, 2013

What A Great Deal For Subscribers! A Second Poll: Where Will The Next Natural Gas Processing Plant Be Located?

I was going to wait to put up this poll, but then I thought: what if I am overcome by events? What if an announcement was made before the poll was posted? I would be devastated. So here it is.

Two polls for subscribers. No extra subscription required. What a great country.

I have to thank Don for suggesting the poll.

It's obvious that there has been a surge in natural gas production in the Bakken, and it's the "good" kind of natural gas. The price of natural gas has crept up and there are indications the trend may continue (even as the price of oil continues to come down).

[The "funny" thing is that the Bakken is an oil field with producers, according to their corporate presentations, saying their oil production exceeds 92% of total hydrocarbon production. Oasis' most recent figures are consistent with everything else I have read: three percent (3%) of their Bakken revenue is attributed to natural gas; the rest to oil. And yet, here we are, talking about natural gas. The state is said to be losing $25 million/year in royalties/taxes due to flaring; the state oil Legacy fund is losing $30 million/year by not investing in MDU.]

So, with that in mind, when the next natural gas gathering and processing plant is announced, where will the new processing plant be sited? My thoughts [yes, I know I risk biasing the poll, but a) I don't mind; and, b) it helps folks think about the possibilities]:

There are four areas:
1. Northeast McKenzie county where most activity is now; but several plants already there, so less likely for the next one.

2. On/near the reservation.

3. Whiting's Pronghorn Prospect, but it seems like they have things under control there; I've lost the bubble in this area, what's there, what is needed. I think Whiting/MDU are "managing" this area.

4. Stanley, ND. See recent posts on Manitou oil field (today).
I won't post how I would vote, but I have let Don know how I would vote.

Disclaimer: this is not an investment site. Do not make any investment decisions based on what you read here or what you think you read here.

2 comments:

  1. I think the next natural gas plant will be near the Williams/Divide county border. Somewhere in the Zahl-Grenora area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may be correct; I had considered adding that area. The main reason I didn't was because the two Stateline (I and II) plants were in the general area. Of course that means there is pipeline already out in that direction, which might be a point in favor. So, we'll see, but the Williams/Divide area has been very, very busy, much busier than I ever would have guessed.

      Delete