Thursday, April 11, 2013

Just for the record.....

On April 8, 2013, I posted a story that the days of wind energy were over. "Wind," in that context, of course, was a catch-all term for renewable energy to include solar energy. Be that as it may. In that article I used the idiom "nails in a coffin."

It was with some amusement, then, that tonight I stumbled across a Motley Fool renewable energy article in which they used the same idiom:
Formerly the biggest maker of solar panels in the world, with more than 10,000 employees, China-based Suntech Power Holdings has witnessed a long fall from grace. The nail in the coffin came in March, when the company failed to pay a $513 million debt obligation. Shortly following its default, the company sailed into Chinese bankruptcy protection. Fast-forward to this week and the company is trading more than 30% higher on a largely speculative rumor that Warren Buffett is looking to buy it.
There is another reason for a bit of amusement. Just about the time STP was hitting all-time lows (?) a few days ago, Don suggested I invest in STP (I have no idea whether he did). I did not know whether he was serious or joking; suffice to say, I did not invest in STP.

What makes me think that Don invested in STP? The foremost contrarian. In December, 2007, STP hit a high of $85. This past week, one could have bought a share for about 85 cents.

Disclaimer: this is not an investment site. Do not make any investment decisions based on anything you read at this blog or think you read at this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment