Tuesday, June 3, 2014

KOG To Drill Madison Wells In Stockyard Creek and Epping Oil Fields; East/Northeast Of Williston

Cases from the June, 2014, NDIC hearings
  • 22475, KOG, Epping-Madison, an order to establish a zone of stand-up 320-acre units, sections 21,22, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, and 34 / 155-99; Williams
  • 22476, KOG, Stockyard Creek-Madison, an order to establish a zone of stand-up 320-acre units, section 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 , 8, 9, 10, 11, and 12 / 154-99; Williams

Just as I was posting this information, a reader sent in these questions:
I find KOG's request to permit Madison wells in the Epping and Stockyard Creek fields to be interesting. I know there are a bunch of old Madison wells running east to west in that area. It's my understanding that Madison wells now utilize horizontal drilling. Do they need to frac Madison wells, like the Bakken and/or Three Forks wells? How much does it cost to drill a typical Madison well?
I don't know the answers but I'm hoping someone will take the time to tell us or offer an opinion. Postings can be done anonymously. 

Newbies may be interested in scrolling through some of the big Madison wells at my "Monster Well" page. When you get to the link scroll down to the Madison; note some million-bbl wells.

A quick look at these two fields reveal a handful of old Madison wells, some still active, but none were over 400,000 bbls total; most were under 100,000 bbls total, I believe (don't quote me on that; I went through them pretty quickly).

Although it's impossible for me to keep all pages up to date, I do have a link to the Madison on the sidebar at the right.

Please note that the older the original post, the more likely it is to be wrong. I was (and am) learning as I go along. I made a lot of errors in the beginning (and probably still do) but I don't, as a rule, delete earlier posts without really, really good reasons. I correct errors in "original posts" with updates at the same page.

2 comments:

  1. Bruce,
    The Madison activity got me curious as well, and a search of wells in or near Stockyard Creek led me to this one (nothing special about it- it was the first Madison I clicked on):

    API 33-105-01645, NDIC # 16723 Brushy Bill 1-19H

    The well was frac'd with acid in 2008 after a year of prodution and has made 45 MBO cumulative. With a TD of 15,161' and a TVD of 9,699', and given the vintage (an 'old well', barely 7 years old) one could speculate costs in the $7-9MM range depending on completion parameters. The completion looks to be small (4,384 BBL, compared to 84,000 barrels in modern Bakken wells).
    So, is it frac'd? Yes, but not in the now-normal ways of 30 stages and 2 million pounds of sand.
    These are my best-guess answers based on one well, and someone with more direct Madison experience can likely provide some more concrete insight.

    Thanks, and have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking the time to write. It will be interesting to compare this "baseline" well of the past with the new Madison wells.

      Delete