Sunday, February 3, 2013

A Huge Thank You to "Anonymous"

Earlier today "anonymous" sent me a comment regarding one of my longer posts yesterday regarding the Bakken decline rate and how I misinterpreted some data.

I am completely blown away by the data point "anonymous" sent me. It is one of those "aha moments" for me regarding the Bakken. It certainly explains why Slawson would pay $19,500/acre in the recent BLM auction.

I will expand on it later, perhaps, but in this case, "anonymous" knows who I am talking about and what I am talking about. He/she deserves a "huge thank you." I have said several times I had two main reasons for the blog, and getting a better understanding of the Bakken was one of them.

That comment sent in overnight regarding the Bakken decline rate was worth the entire weekend of blogging. A huge thank you.  (Actually there were two comments sent in regarding that post; they were both important, but I am referring to the second comment.)

Thank you.

[I keep thinking back to another individual who wrote in suggesting that, like the Eagle Ford, takeaway capacity was overbuilt in the Bakken. Not. The flaring of natural gas alone would argue against that statement.]

7 comments:

  1. Bruce, How do you find the production numbers on the different wells that you mention. I am trying to find the production numbers on the two Christians XTO wells in Williams county. 154-96-6. They have been producing since April. Thought I knew how.

    Dennis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1. Basic Services at the NDIC website: $50/year subscription.

      2. At Basic Services, click on "Scout Ticket Data." If the production doesn't automatically show up when accessing a specific file number, click on the "Get Production History" in brown prompt.

      3. With regard to the two XTO Christiana wells, yes they have been producing since April, 2012. One has produced about 50K; the other about 65K. Both are producing about 5,000 bbls of oil/month; they are hooked up to a natural gas line. One is now selling all gas (for the past three months); the other is still flaring a significant amount.

      4. Without spending $50/year, one can get production for free at the NDIC site, but it is much more cumbersome, and only one month at a time.

      Delete
  2. THey are both good wells.. But the roxy well is even better! It's 600' away from the Christiana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many good wells, and to think many of them may be "takeaway constrained." To the best of my knowledge, I've not that talked about much: how much individual wells might be constrained. Also, oil companies need to manage their assets.

      Delete
    2. The Roxy with an IP of 2,298.

      22681, XTO, Roxy 21X-6B, t8/12; cum 63K 12/12.

      This well produced 25,000 bbls in the first full month of production (August). It is now producing 8,000 bbls of oil per month. It is hooked up to a natural gas line but some natural gas is still being flared, suggesting this well is also takeaway constrained.

      Delete
    3. Thanks for the info.

      Dennis

      Delete
    4. You are welcome. Actually the story continues to get more and more interesting, as the comments continue to come in.

      Delete