Wednesday, April 11, 2012

World's Fourth Largest Crane in the Rocky Mountain Oil Region

Updates

Later: I cannot take credit for this one. More than one person has suggested that the old tanks be used for growing algae. Memo to self: note to Interior Secretary to talk to the president about this one. The only downside: mosquitoes would love the breeding opportunity, but lots of DDT could take care of that.  Apologies to Rachel.

Original Post

If I had the time it would be interesting to post a commentary on the oil and gas industry in the Williston Basin, reflecting on the "relative" obscurity of the biggest energy play going on in the world right now. I really don't know if the Williston Basin is the biggest energy play, but it certainly must be in the top five. The Eagle Ford will eventually get there, but it will be obscured somewhat by the fact that everyone knows "Texas" as a center.

But I really don't think most Americans think of North Dakota when asked about oil in the US. I thought about that again, when I saw the photograph of Conoco's Billings (Montana) story (sent to me by Don).

I assume most folks think of North Dakota as depicted in the photograph that is posted at the bottom of this note. 

Very, very few folks will see this story, and even those who do, will likely skip over what I think is the biggest part of the story:
As dawn broke Tuesday, the world's fourth-biggest crane began the delicate task of replacing coke drums at the Billings ConocoPhillips refinery.
Data points:
  • that was the first lift; five more lifts to complete the project
  • the crane is owned and operated by Mammoet; the crane weighs 1,760 tons
  • each new drum weighs 350 tons
But the data point that caught my attention: this is the fourth-largest crane in the world (not in the region, not in the US, not in North America, but in the entire world). That, metaphorically, speaks volumes about the oil and gas industry in the US.

I do believe this process was held up by faux environmentalists blocking megaloads on Idaho and Montana highways, but don't know for sure. I do know that megaloads going to Canada have been held up by faux environmentalists.

Oh, yes, here's the photograph I mentioned above:














North Dakota blizzard, winter, 1936

10 comments:

  1. Bruce....disclaimer, and I realize you are not an investment site, however, if YOU were to invest in one stock in the coming weeks, which would it be??

    Shannon
    ogre@ndsupernet.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm about the last person you would want to ask. Smile.

      If interested in the Bakken for investments, I would review the Filloon articles. He has everything from speculative to conservative Bakken companies under discussion/review.

      If interested in dividends, I would look at the pipeline partnerships or oil investment trusts, but one needs to be prepared for miserable tax accounting, and understanding of these things. I don't recommend them but I enjoy having one or two in a well-diversified portfolio.

      If one thinks the US economy will continue to improve, and one wants some dividend, look at the railroads. Unfortunately Buffett bought one of the best.

      For the granddaughters I accumulate shares in major integrateds, like CVX, COP, XOM, STO...for the very, very long term.

      Outside of energy, I have almost no investing experience or interest.

      Again, the usual disclaimer: this is not an investment site. I ramble / discuss as if I'm sitting among friends at Economart. I charge about 2 cents for my opinions and folks listening to my opinions appear to be running a tab; I have never collected.

      Delete
  2. I have 90 acres in the M.Ellis and Mark 4-9 unit. The Skjol 5-8 to the west looks horrible. But the Larsen 3-10 to the east looks just fine...now I know you wouldn't have any information on the Ellis or Mark, too new. (Brigham operated, S4-R154-T100) but if you ever do, could you add the "Williston-Bakken" field to your "Field Updates" section? I check your blog about 10 times a day, it is the best out there, and I would find out anything about my, "monster well" fingers crossed, from your site first. (When I check the monthly production on the NDIC the wells I mentioned are under the "Williston-Bakken" section) Thanks for all you do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have added the Williston field to the udpates at the sidebar at the right.

      I can't possibly keep up with all the fields, so I rely on readers to help me out, but if something really interesting pops up, I will update the field.

      The initial data from the Skjol, I believe, is prior to fracking. Hopefully it's a typical BEXP well.

      Thank you for reminding me to write about the Williston field.

      Delete
    2. Article titled "Gas Glut Rejiggers Industry" in Wall Street Journal. Interesting article mentioning the RBN Energy website.

      Delete
    3. I have not gotten to the WSJ yet today. Will look for it. Interesting about the RBN Energy website.

      Delete
  3. The new cokers for the Billings Refinery have actually been on site for about a year now. Probably waiting for the changeover time and getting the crane. Most of the problems with megaloads were in ID. Don't know of any in MT (besides narrow, steep, mountain roads, and weather). But, the company that was building the megaloads in ID and then going through all the permits, weather and mountains wised up. 90% of the loads go to Canada. The company is in the process of building a huge megaload construction site near Cut Bank, MT. Will save them tons of money on transport and permit costs. Now, all the "normal" truckloads will be shipped to Cut Bank and assembled there into their massive configurations. And the enviros in ID can find another cause to fight for no good reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dateline: Helena, Montana in an earlier posting:

      Shipments along that route have been stalled since a judge in July granted a preliminary injunction requested by Missoula County and conservation groups that filed a lawsuit against the Montana Transportation Department. Imperial has since divided several of the modules into smaller loads and shipped a few dozen along the interstate.

      Delete
  4. I was expecting some sort of review of the Bakken cranes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry. If I were in the Bakken, I would definitely do that, a report (or at least photographs) of all the cranes in the Williston area, but that will have to wait until I return to Williston.

      Delete