Sunday, September 11, 2022

Disney -- September 11, 2022

For "investors":

Link here.

The blog has been huge for me. The blog has probably done more for my quality of life and investing than anything I've done outside of family and "significant others." Wow, I've learned a lot. Without the blog, I never would have followed "the streaming wars."

Now, this from The Motley Fool

A new member loyalty program could provide the entertainment giant with multiple cross-selling opportunities.

As the streaming wars intensify, Walt Disney is exploring whether a membership loyalty program like Amazon Prime could not only drive more viewers to its Disney+ service, but serve as a vehicle to boost sales at theme parks, resorts, cruises, and stores.

Dubbed "Disney Prime" by insiders, according to The Wall Street Journal, Disney hopes it will allow the company to hit its aggressive streaming service subscriber targets as well as maintain the attendance growth it has achieved at its theme parks, especially if a global recession strikes.

Few companies enjoy the synergies Disney does -- a movie generates toys and theme park rides that creates a long tail of revenue growth -- so by offering discounts and perks in one seamless package, the entertainment giant could keep its sales juggernaut going.

I am not yet accumulating shares in DIS. Don't know if I ever will. No matter how good it is,

  • there are plenty of better options; and,
  • it doesn't pay a dividend.

By the way, on another note, my "Disney account" continues to grow. Our twin grandsons will be going to Disneyland when they are eight years old. Six years from now. Sophia will be fourteen; she's never been to Disneyland. Thinking.

Anyway, everyone says Disneyland is very expensive, too expensive to make it a destination for middle-income families. I disagree.

But to "manage" the expense, I started a Schwab equity account nicknamed "Disney Trip" and I fund it with a minimum of $100 on the 30th day of each month. Generally, I fund it with $200 / month. The money is "new" money; it is not a transfer of money from another Schwab account. There is a lot of "energy" in that portfolio now but no DIS. At the end of the year, I add an additional contribution to bring it even with the value of the portfolio one year earlier if there's been a year-over-year loss. 

Disclaimer: this is not an investment site.  Do not make any investment, financial, job, career, travel, or relationship decisions based on what you read here or think you may have read here. Full disclaimer at tabbed link.

All my posts are done quickly: there will be content and typographical errors. If anything on any of my posts is important to you, go to the source. If/when I find typographical / content errors, I will correct them

No comments:

Post a Comment