Thursday, February 3, 2022

The Future Of Fracking -- The WSJ -- February 3, 2022

Shortly after I started the blog back in 2009 or thereabouts, I did the math and it looked like "they" would drill the last Bakken well in 2030 and that production would dwindle away, but still be producing oil out to about 2100, albeit, perhaps, not much production. 

More likely, this dwindling production would be uneconomical well before 2100 and all production would cease well before that. But that's fine. The key point is that back in 2009 when I did the math (as did others), it appeared that active drilling in the Bakken would continue until 2030.

Hold that thought. 

I'm going to come back to this later. 

Something of more interest has interrupted me and I will come back to this story later.  

Until then, the two sources I will be citing:

First, from earlier today:

Fracking future: doesn't look good. According to Collin Eaton at The Wall Street Journal.

Link here first to Yahoo!Finance. Not sure if that will get you past the WSJ paywall.

My first thought: this article, or variations thereof, have been re-posted every year for the past fifty years. LOL. I wonder if Collin Eaton saw the Facebook story yesterday? Just saying.

And second, the original Leigh Price paper.

Concepts, memo to self:

  • drilling vs fracking
  • MRO re-fracking program
  • not understanding tight oil
  • premise: future of oil demand 
  • consolidation
  • what is Collin Eaton's point? No one really worries about workers. 

Examples:

  • July 24, 2021: Whiting to acquire 8,752 net acres in the Sanish for $271 million; works out to about $31K / net acre. Whiting now with about 480,000 net acres. 
    • six years of drilling activity in the Bakken with a 2-rig program

No comments:

Post a Comment